The Modern Greek Studies Association (MGSA) invites applications for the position of Executive Director to begin September 15, 2018. The successful candidate will be appointed to an initial 3-year term, which may be renewed for additional 5-year terms pending approval of the Executive Board. The annual stipend for the position is $14,000 (subject to USA taxation). This compensation is provided by the MGSA, which cannot, however, provide secretarial support.
A partial list of the responsibilities of the Executive Director includes: maintaining membership records, overseeing and reporting on the organization’s finances and budget, preparing and distributing the annual MGSA Bulletin, assisting with the planning and execution of the biennial Symposium, attending semiannual Executive Board meetings, and assisting the officers of the MGSA to execute the organization’s mission. A more detailed job description follows.
The successful candidate will be a scholar of Modern Greece, fluent in both English and Greek, who possesses extensive knowledge of and experience with the MGSA, its initiatives, and its administration. Additional administrative experience would benefit an applicant as well.
Interested candidates should send a CV and a letter of interest as pdfs to both
Franklin L. Hess [email protected] and Thomas W. Gallant [email protected].
Evaluation of applications will begin on August 15, 2018, and continue until the position is filled.
Position Description for Executive Director of the Modern Greek Studies Association
The principal duty of the Executive Director is to manage the daily business of the MGSA in communication with the Executive Board and its officers, who serve three-year terms, as well as with the various chairs of MGSA committees, who are appointed by the Executive Board.
A detailed list of the responsibilities of the Executive Director includes:
- Membership: Maintain all membership records. Coordinate with Johns Hopkins University Press (JHUP) the annual membership renewal mailings (November with January reminder) in a timely manner. Inform the webmaster of adjustments related to membership that need to be posted online.
- Correspondence: Maintain email contact with the MGSA membership, its officers, and the rest of the Executive Board, responding in a timely manner to inquiries or directing them to others within the organization who are better positioned to respond. Maintain an official mailing address for the MGSA (preferably a departmental address) and check mail regularly. Since the amount of hard-copy mail has diminished over the years, the Executive Director’s principal responsibility is to respond to email messages and online queries.
- Finances and Budget: Oversee the organization’s checking and savings accounts, making sure that the association’s President and Treasurer are also both listed on the accounts and have debit cards. Deposit all incoming checks and write checks for regular expenses. Receive and file monthly or quarterly reports of endowment accounts and report semiannually on such to the Executive Board and Financial Advisory Committee. Prepare annual budget for Executive Board and report on finances at Executive Board meetings. Report on a monthly basis to the association’s officers, providing copies of end-of-the-month bank statements and a brief account of monthly income streams and expenses.
- Fund Raising: Work with the Fund-Raising and Long-Term Planning Committee to coordinate Executive Board fundraising activities and correspond on a regular basis with prospective donors (foundations, individuals, corporations, governmental agencies, etc.). Acknowledge any contributions or grants received and inform the Executive Board. Issue thank-you letters to those members who send contributions along with their membership to JHUP by obtaining updates from JHUP.
- Taxes and Incorporation Permits: Obtain and renew annually the MGSA’s New Jersey state incorporation permit. File quarterly Federal (IRS) reports. File annually with IRS. Prepare materials for auditor and annual IRS 990 and state tax reports. Respond to all inquiries from the IRS and state authorities. Collaborate closely with the MGSA’s accountant to ensure timely tax filings and provide all materials for annual audit in advance of the deadline for filing taxes.
- Records: Manage the MGSA office, respond to all inquiries (mail, email, Facebook messages), keep track of and regularly archive important email and other correspondence with Executive Board members, and communicate regularly with the individual(s) responsible for MGSA-L, MGSA website, and other online and social media presences. Maintain all MGSA records and make proper arrangements for the archiving of both paper records (with Princeton University’s Special Collections) and electronic materials (on the MGSA website and other relevant digital media).
- Publications: Prepare and distribute MGSA Bulletin once a year by collecting and organizing content, preparing copy for electronic publication and posting publication to the MGSA website and MGSA-L (or any other electronic equivalent as this may evolve). Maintain records of correspondence with JHUP regarding the Journal of Modern Greek Studies and all financial arrangements between MGSA and JHUP. Solicit reports annually from Modern Greek Studies programs in the US and Canada. Store all extra copies of MGSA publications (requires approximate 100 cubic feet of space) and manage digital storage of relevant materials. Arrange for adequate storage space and facilitate transfer of materials to incoming Executive Director.
- Corporate Resolution Book: In close collaboration with the Secretary, maintain, update, and distribute to all incoming Executive Board members a file containing all active resolutions.
- Executive Board Responsibilities: Assist the MGSA President and Secretary in arranging for semiannual Board meetings by making suggestions for the meeting agenda, etc. Assist in soliciting committee reports for distribution and inform officers of actions that need to be taken (e.g. upcoming elections, deadlines, etc.). Attend Executive Board meetings in person and provide general support to the Board. Issue reimbursement checks for travel expenses to Executive Board members based on receipts and in accordance with MGSA reimbursement rules.
- Executive Board Elections: Every three years, work with the Chair of the Nominations Committee to explain procedures and to check the membership status of nominees. Prepare and mail ballots and candidates' profiles electronically with the assistance of JHUP. Collect electronic ballot counts and inform the Executive Board and candidates of the election results. Keep a list of the runners-up in case substitutions need to be made in the course of the Executive Board’s three-year term.
- MGSA Symposium: Assist the Program Committee Chair in distributing the Symposium’s call for papers; answer queries during and after the online submission process; clear submitted abstracts of all names and other identifying markers and pass them on to the Program Committee Chair; arrange for the electronic mailing of acceptance and rejection letters to all those who have submitted abstracts or proposals for panels or special sessions. Assist the Local Arrangements Committee Chair as needed, arrange for online updates on accommodation and transportation arrangements, collect financial reports and receipts in the weeks following the end of the symposium, and facilitate necessary financial transfers. Respond to all individual requests for certificates and other proofs of participation (to facilitate speakers’ travel and visa arrangements, local applications for travel funding, portfolio updates, etc.).
- MGSA Prizes: Work with chairs of respective MGSA prize committees to determine submission deadlines and practical procedures. When the committee members are not made public, issue calls for submissions and reminders in advance of the deadlines. Receive all submissions, pass them on to the chairs of the respective prize committees, and communicate the results of each competition to the applicants, unless the committee chairs prefer to communicate the results themselves (the latter is preferred for the sake of better informed responses to all of the candidates). Prepare the checks for the prize winners by the time of the biennial symposium. Make sure the MGSA website reflects the latest prize announcements and the most recent names of the winners.
- Other: Conduct other duties incidental to the fulfillment of the foregoing responsibilities, or as assigned by the Executive Board.
- Transition: Collaborate with the Administration Committee on the Executive Director’s performance evaluation and secure a smooth transition to the next person holding the office of the Executive Director.